Green Key certified hotel in Caen
Our approach to sustainable tourism in Normandy
We have decided to go even further in our commitment and move towards eco-responsible tourism. This is how, in 2020, the Green Key label was awarded to our hotel in Caen, the Best Western Plus Le Moderne****.
The Green Key label for an eco-responsible future
The Green Key label is the first international environmental label for tourist accommodation and catering. This year in France, nearly 650 tourist accommodation and restaurants have been awarded the label.
Our environmental commitments
At Best Western Plus Le Moderne****, we are committed to efficient, continuous and dynamic environmental management and responsible practices for sustainable tourism.
> ENERGY MANAGEMENT
- Lower energy bills thanks to customer and staff awareness raising
- Reduction of the electricity bill thanks to the gradual replacement of almost all incandescent and halogen bulbs with low-energy bulbs, and thanks to customer and staff awareness raising.
- Monitoring of gas and electricity consumption
> WATER MANAGEMENT
- Reduced water consumption by encouraging customers to reuse towels
- Reduction of water consumption by offering a local drink if the guest agrees that we do not change their bed linen during their stay (maximum 7 nights).
- Monitoring of consumption in order to detect any leaks
> WASTE MANAGEMENT
- Waste sorting by staff
- Incentives or sorting of waste by customers
- Reduction of individual and disposable bathroom products
- If possible, the pre-packaged individual portions are not necessary for breakfast.
> RESPONSIBLE PURCHASING
- Favouring the purchase of labelled products (environmentally friendly products)
- Use cleaning products with a label and limit the use of chemicals
- Prefer local products for all our purchases
Visits to Calvados and Normandy
You can also discover Calvados and Normandy on foot or by bike!
- Blue Flag beaches and harbours
- Colleville Mongoméry (15 km from Caen)
- Honfleur (60 km from Caen)
- Ouistreham (15 km from Caen)
- Dives-Cabourg-Houlgate (30 km from Caen)
Communes with the Blue Flag label are committed to sustainable tourism and adopt a policy that respects the environment.
- The Monts et Marches de Normandie-Maine sites
- Abbey and Tertre Bizet de Lonlay-l'Abbaye
- Fortified castles of Lassay les Châteaux
- Roc au chien, cluse, lake of Bagnoles de l'Orne
- Village and valley of the Sarthe of Saint Céneri le Gérei
- Donjon and medieval town of Domfront
Find the complete list here.
These sites are committed to the conservation of the natural and cultural heritage, the enhancement of non-motorised itineraries and the promotion of sustainable tourism.
- All Calvados by bike!
- Bicycle hire close to the hotel
- Electrobike Caen
- Citibike Caen